Anthology is looking for women of color from the Midwestern US to write for an upcoming publication of essays. The goal of this project is to publish the voices and experiences of women of color out of the Midwest around sexual health, reproductive justice, and abortion.
With abortion rights constantly being challenged throughout the United States, the voices and contributions of women of color are rarely heard or acknowledged in this dialogue. These voices deserve to be heard and respected in the larger pro-choice movement. As these are valid issues that impact our lives, women of color will continue to fight for autonomy and justice.
All proceeds from this publication will benefit the Chicago Abortion Fund in assisting low-income women of color in obtaining abortion access. This anthology will be published in honor of the Chicago Abortion Fund’s 30th Year Anniversary in 2014. This anthology will be edited by Gaylon Alcaraz and J. Bates.
- Authors must be women of color currently living in or originally from the Midwestern United States (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin).
- Non-fiction essays.
- 1,000 words or less. Let us know if you need more space.
- The work you submit must be your own original writing. We will not accept the work of others or works that have been previously published in other books/magazines/etc.
- An e-mail address must accompany all work so that we may get in touch with you.
- By submitting your work, you give us your permission to publish your writing both on-line and in print.
- Please include a brief biography (100 words or less) with your writing.
- Pick any of these topics: sexual health, reproductive justice, abortion, pro-choice ideas, pro-choice movement, reproductive rights.
Deadline for submissions: March 31st, 2013.
E-mail all submissions to: womenofcolorspeakout AT gmail DOT com