By JM Bates
My memories are like broken pieces of glass; random, scattered, and sharp. When I was 27 I was officially diagnosed with PTSD, though I’ve had this disorder since I was about five years old. The memories reach me at completely random and often inconvenient times, like when I’m at…
FYF contributor JM Bates wrote a personal piece for IBYINYF! Check it out. (Trigger warning: rape, abuse)
Simpson defined food justice as everyone’s right to afford and easily access culturally appropriate and nutritious food. Although some people can choose to buy local, organic foods, not everyone has the ability to access them. Though food justice advocates frequently observe that food insecurity disproportionately affects low-income people of color, advocacy around food justice for people with disabilities is not a prevalent part of the food justice discourse. It is important to note that these communities are not separate; a disabled person may also be a person of color and/or low income. To create an inclusive society, we must ask the following question: How can the food justice movement attain justice with society’s narrow view of health and how bodies should operate?
“Disability justice is everybody’s movement, a movement meant to combat systemic oppression,” Simpson said. “This makes it a human rights movement.”
- dudes: "all men watch porn just get used to it"
- dudes: "men just have stronger sex drives than women, its just biology"
- dudes: "we can't help objectifying women, its in our dna"
- feminists: "rape happens a lot in our society and most are perpetrated by men, towards women, and i can't tell the difference between safe men and dangerous men just by looking so i tend to be wary of men sometimes"
- dudes: "NOW WAIT JUST A FUCKIN SECOND HOW CAN YOU GENERALIZE ALL MEN THATS SO UNFAIR"
- The “not all men” excuse refers to RAPE and other aggressions and violence INDIVIDUAL men commit against women. When you say “not all men” you are saying, “yes some men are bad and may be dangerous, but some of us are good!” This is a derailment tactic that serves no useful purpose but to reassert patriarchy and rape culture.
- When we say “not all feminists are like …..” we are saying that you cannot define an entire MOVEMENT by the actions of an individual.
- Any logical person can see that this comparison is apples and oranges.
Soooooo are they in danger of getting gunned down, or nah?
I think ima reblog this once a day for the next forever..
Forever reblogging! Impersonators
Let me call up MLK and ask him how that suit thing panned out for him…or Dr. Henry Louis Gates…or President Obama and ask them how that suit thing works.
I’d gun em down if I could get away with it.
Another reason why respectability politics = bullshit
i just wanted to put this out there since im sure it’ll get written about differently tomorrow.
Fell in love when I saw this 👌👌 #muslim #islam #hijab #proud #covered #quote #beautiful